Homestead Gardens, the largest enclosed garden center in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and one of the country’s leading garden centers, has a job opportunity for an experienced Perennials Buyer. This full-time position is responsible for planning, purchasing and ensuring availability of all Perennials and seasonal bulbs for our Retail locations, while monitoring and managing inventory control for the Perennials Sales.
- Full responsibility as a Perennials Category Manager (Buyer) for the retail stores, wholesale and production facilities, including traveling to industry trade shows, growers, garden centers and other sources to select and purchase top quality Perennials and seasonal bulbs, and other related products as approved.
- Analyze selling trends and develop strategies and product assortment in the Department to decide what items to sell.
- Review inventory levels regularly and make adjustments in pricing as needed to sell through seasonal products in a timely manner.
- Coordinate merchandising and pricing strategies with the Nursery/Perennials Manager. Also apprise of all shipping and special orders.
- Oversee the delivery of material and directs the placement of plant material on the sales floor, while working with the Nursery/Perennials Manager.
- Develops and administers Perennials sales budget.
- Assist with merchandising the Perennials sales area and developing marketing programs, advertising, promotions and workshops with the aid of the Marketing Department.
- Apply acquired knowledge to enhance the products sold in Perennials.
- Must possess excellent knowledge of Perennials and seasonal bulbs, including the ability to identify and buy Perennials and seasonal bulbs related to their growth and sales.
- Excellent negotiation skills and the ability to create and maintain good vendor relationships.
- Plant care knowledge and all aspects of perennials plant material upkeep.
- Experience in budgetary management, developing and meeting annual sales goals.
- Highly organized, with good analytical skills.
- Attention to detail with the ability to think creatively and operate with some flexibility.
- Good computer/technology skills, with a willingness to grow.
- Great customer service skills and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as a leader and a member of the team.
- Ability to work flexible schedules during busy periods and availability to travel to industry-related events as required.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in an Agricultural discipline or minimum of three-five years equivalent work experience in a retail garden center or horticultural environment preferred.
Full-time employees are eligible for Health, Dental, Vision, Retirement, and Paid Time Off benefits.